Friday, September 28, 2012

Amanda's Quiet Book

Today's quiet book comes from Amanda at My Cup Overflows. Her book is really well made and contains some particularly cool pages - I love "The Armor of God" page and the "I Spy" pages especially. I'm totally planning on including "The Armor of God" page in my bible quiet book, whenever I eventually make that in the future.



Interview

What's your name? Describe yourself in one sentence.
Amanda Johnson.  I am a stay-at-home wife, mother of three, and my heart's desire is to follow God wherever He leads me.

Who did you make this quiet book for? How old are they?

I made this for my son, Zechariah, who is four.

What's your level of sewing experience?
I wouldn't say I was professional at sewing, but I know my way around well enough. My mom started teaching me when I was a young girl as part of my home school curriculum. I've had years of playing around with a sewing machine.

How long did it take you?

Way too many hours! I spent the afternoons, during my sons nap time, every day for weeks. Each page would take me at least 3 hours, some of the more complex pages were much much longer. I worked on it for 2 months.

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found?

My inspiration came from  "How to Make a Quiet Book." There are so many great ideas and pages there!

I used this Laura Thoughts - Put on the Armour of God Template for the Armor of God page.

I love the mail box and letters on this page: Leafy Treetop Spot - Quiet Book Love Letters.

My season page idea came from here Serving Pink Lemonade - Quiet Book.

I don't remember where my barn page came from. I did use a template for it. I know there are a lot of them out there.

How did you bind your quiet book?

I bought a pair of eyelet pliers to use for the binding. I had never used them before, but they made it so simple.  They were definitely worth the money I spent on them. The cover I made came from this blog: Tidbits - How to Make a Quiet Book Cover.

What material are the pages made out of?
I did not use the traditional muslin. I found it to be too flimsy for my taste. I believe what I ended up with is a heavy utility fabric.

What other materials did you use?
Lots of felt! Scrap material, a few yards of fusible interfacing, tons of snaps, ribbon, eyelets, beads, some Velcro, and buttons! I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting.

How much did all the supplies cost you?
I think my total was between $50 or $60. I did buy some pliers with that, and I have lots of things left over. I probably could have made another quiet book with my leftover supplies.

What's your favorite page? Why?
My favorite page has got to be the I-Spy page. I had so much fun gathering items from around the house to include in the I-Spy pocket. I thought some of my items were too big, and it would be too easy, but they still have room to hide. Even my older kids will play with this page; it's everyone's favorite.

To read Amanda's original post about her quiet book on her blog, with more pictures and more detailed explanations, click here!  Thank you, Amanda, for sharing your wonderful quiet book with us!



Have you made a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here to learn how to submit your own quiet book!

1 comment:

  1. This is so clever! I love the ABC page, the armor of God page, the mail pages, the shoe-tying, the clock...

    ReplyDelete