Monday, September 17, 2012

Britt's Quiet Book

Today's quiet book was made by Britt from Britt & Her Boys, and it really is a fantastic one. She made it by following the templates from Imagine Our Life. I love all of the detail she put into this book - each page is seriously just incredible. She actually sewed the whole thing by hand (apart from the binding). And all of the pages look so fun!



 Interview

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
My name is Britt and I'm a stay at home mamma of two boys with a passion to make homemade items that will be cherished and last a long time! 

Who did you make this quiet book for? What are their ages? 
I started making this book for my youngest son, age one. But my 4 year old LOVED the pages so I made a few of them a little more "advanced" with smaller pieces. 

What is your level of sewing experience? 
I'm not sure what I would consider my sewing level. I do tons of projects for my boys from quilts to clothes and lots of projects around our house. This book was done by hand and only a few stitches were used, so it would be very simple for a beginner. 

How long did it take you? 
This book took a while, I will say that. But being a mom of two boys I don't sit down for long periods of time to work on projects. Overall, I would guess each page took about two weeks with a few minutes here and there. 

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found? 
I did use templates for these pages and modified some a bit. I found them over at Imagine Our Life

How did you bind your book? 
I sewed a thicker binding edge on each page and installed three grommets per page. I use key rings to hold the pages together. I do have plans to make a cover and a back as well. (Maybe one day, ha.)

What are the pages made out of?

The pages are all (for the most part) made with wool felt sheets. The majority are 100% wool felt and the rest are made with a wool blend. 

What other materials were used? 
Other materials used: plastic vinyl, silver polyester, a crinkly material, snaps, various buttons, beads, ribbons & sequins. One page I used a flexible mirror that can be cut to size with regular scissors. 

How much did all the supplies cost you? 
Wool felt can be expensive but I thought the quality was worth it for the time I was putting into the project.  A lot of the other materials I already had, and a few specific things were purchased such as the mirror, snaps, and grommets which can all be found at any craft store. I picked mine up at either Hobby Lobby or Joanns fabric. 

What is your favorite page and why? 
My favorite page is the "Itsy Bitsy Spider." I love the interactive spider and being able to change the weather. My one year old loves the train page- mostly the elephant! :) 

Britt's quiet book (with more explanations and pictures) can be seen on her blog here. Thank you, Britt, for sharing your quiet book with us!


Have you made a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your own quiet book!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a beautiful book! I love the finger puppets--they look so intricate! And the spider page is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just absolutely incredible. My favorite is the Itsy Bitsy Spider page!

    ReplyDelete