Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Jill's Quiet Book

Today's quiet book was made by Jill from Montoya's Meaningful Memories and Musings, and it's an awesome one! She has some really cute and original pages. I especially love her elephant page and her Native American finger puppets. So cute!

The cover:

A front inside pocket and the elephant page with balloons:

Barn page with farm animal finger puppets, and an apple tree page:

Chicken, Horse, Cow, and Pig finger puppets:

A mailbox page (with a letter) and a flower page:

Shapes matching page and an Underwater page:

Teepee with Native American finger puppets, a campfire, and a back inside pocket:

Interview

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
My name is Jill. I'm a stay-at-home mom who loves chocolate, crafts, walks, games, and fall.

Who did you make this quiet book for? How old are they?
I made my quiet book for my soon. I completed it for his first birthday.

What's your level of sewing experience?
Probably somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I have a fair amount of sewing experience, but have never done anything very difficult. 

How long did it take you?
I made 3 pages when my son was first born but then got burned out and stopped. Then I took about 2-3 weeks to complete the book, spending an average of 3 hours a day working on it. I changed how I was doing the pages part way through and had to redo some things so it probably took me a good 70-80 hours of work. If you could count how much time I spent thinking about it, it was easily three times that much. :) I dreamed about quiet book pages and definitely lost sleep over it. 

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found?
Yes, the barn and finger puppets came from "Homemade by Jill" and the mailbox came from the blog "Imagine Our Life."

How did you bind your quiet book?
I sewed 3 button holes in each page and then used 2-inch binder rings for loops.

What material are the pages made out of?
The pages are made of the thickest interfacing you can find at a sewing store. Then all the pieces are made of felt.

What other materials did you use?
Felt, velcro, fleece (the elephant), snaps, buttons, zippers, ribbon, fabric markers, ladybug charms, a little bit of muslin and other fabrics for a few of the backgrounds, and lots of thread.

How much did the supplies cost you?
This was one of my first big sewing projects away from my mom's sewing supply, so I had to buy a lot of things to establish my own sewing supply. I spent around $50, but had lots of extra supplies, so the cost of what actually went into the book was about $30.

What's your favorite page? Why?
My favorite page is the ocean page. It is exactly how I imagined it and I love under the sea scenes. My son's favorite pages are the ladybugs page and the color balloons page.


Jill's whole book (with some more explanations) can also be viewed here on her family blog. Thank you, Jill, for sharing your awesome quiet book with us!



Have you made a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your quiet book!

2 comments:

  1. Love the under the sea page as well cos I have a grandson and I think he would love it - so long as I include some of Grandad's fishes!!!
    Thanks for sharing
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill sounded like me. I have also lost sleep over thinking about quiet books. I loved her elephant page. I am going to make a quiet book for my 17 month old daughter and see loves elephant. So probably going to use Jill's elephant page as the first page. :) Thanks so much for sharing the book here.

    ReplyDelete