Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Lanette and Shaun's Quiet Book

Today's quiet book comes from my friend Lanette and her husband Shaun, who you can find at Shaun, Lanette, and Iris. They made it together and it is so cute! I love all the pages, and I think my favorite is the car page (I love all the little trees). I also love the dresser for storing all of Mr. Potato Head's accessories, and I definitely want to make a bead page like theirs in my next book.

 

Interview

What's your name? Describe yourself in one sentence. 
My name is Lanette, and I love art, baking and reading, but most of all I love my handsome husband and our sassy, smart and adorable little girl! 

Who did you make this quiet book for? How old are they?
My daughter. She is about 18 months old. 

What's your level of sewing experience?
Personally, I have a very low level of sewing expertise, but my husband Shaun is really pretty good at it, probably "intermediate" level at least.

How long did it take you? (How many hours total? Spread over how many days?)
This was our Christmas Break project. We spent approximately 6 or 7 hours on it as a team. It took about a week. 

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found?
We did not use templates. However, we were inspired by pur friend Jocelyn's blog about the quiet book she made.  (Flower Page, Weaving Page, and Mr. Potato Head Pages inspired by http://jocelynandjason.blogspot.com/2011/12/quiet-book-round-up.html)

What material are the pages made out of?
Sheets of felt, which we purchased at WalMart for about 50 cents a sheet, and in multi-packs for about 3 dollars for 12 sheets. 

What other materials did you use?
In addition to mass amounts of felt sheets in every color we could find, good sharp scissors and a sewing machine, we used lots of buttons for embellishments, woven thread for the doll's hair, google-y eyes for the finger puppets, hot glue and sharpie paint pen also for the finger puppets, wooden beads and ribbon for the shapes page, more ribbon and modgepodge for the spider web (we just oozed paint all over to get the page to be a bit more stiff and textured so the felt spider would "stick" a bit better, but take note, he doesn't actually stick that well!) and velcro for the snowman page. In addition we reused an old zipper for the Mr. Potato Head's Dresser page, and used Dritz Jean Rivets to make holes in the sides to bind it. My mom has the little clamper tool that clamps those in.  

How much did all the supplies cost you?
We spent about $30 total on this project, although we had a few of the supplies beforehand (buttons, velcro, modgepodge, hot glue, google-y eyes, ribbon, and wooden beads).

How did you bind your quiet book?
Dritz Jean Rivets, which we clamped in using some fancy little tool my mom has. It cost about $10 for the clamper thing. We intended to use binder rings to hold it together, but opted for yarn temporarily. 

What's your favorite page?
I love the doll page with hair that you can braid or play with. Shaun's favorite page is the car page, while our little girl really likes the Mr. Potato Head page and the Snowman page lately.  

Check out our quiet book (with more pictures and descriptions) on our blog: http://shaunandlanette.blogspot.com/2012/04/iriss-quiet-book.html

Thank you so much, Shaun and Lanette, for sharing your quiet book with us!




Have you made a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your own quiet book!

No comments:

Post a Comment