Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Trina's Quiet Book

Today's quiet book is from Trina at Baby Jayne's, and it's really different from anything we've shown you so far! Trina made a "Changeable Activity Tote," which is a really interesting and cool take on a quiet book. Using placemats, ziploc bags, and hand-braided handles, she created the awesome creations you see before you (and which you can create following her tutorial here).


 

Interview

What's your name? Describe yourself in one sentence.
My name is Trina.  I love to cook, sew, and craft in an effort to make a handmade and fun life for my 3 kids and husband. 

Who did you make this quiet book for? How old are they?
I made 2 quiet books.  1 for my 4 year old boy and 1 for my 7 year old daughter. 

What's your level of sewing experience?
I am an advanced sewer but this took a very basic level of sewing- just a few straight lines. 

How long did it take you?
It took about 2 hours, start to finish, once the supplies were purchased. 

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found?
No.  I used a place mat I bought at Target for the main body of the book.  

How did you bind your quiet book?
There really isn't any binding in this book.  By using a place mat, this gave the book a nice firm outside.  I then used plastic and plastic bags sewed into the place mat to create pockets and holders for all of the fun games and supplies for my quiet books.  

What kinds of materials did you use?
You need a place mat, a large sheet of plastic (you can buy this at Walmart or craft stores), some heavy duty zip lock sandwich bags, a little bit of fabric or ribbon to create handles and some thread in your sewing machine.  

How much did all the supplies cost you?
It cost about $5 to make the actual quiet book, but then I probably spent $10 buying all the games, puzzles, crayons, candy, etc. to go in the quiet book.  

What's your favorite page? Why?
There aren't any pages in this quiet book.  It simply has lots of different pockets and pouches to hold various  activities.  I like this because it can constantly change.  The children don't get bored from doing the same activities over and over.  I change the coloring books, games, cards, crayons, candy, etc. out constantly so it's always fun. 

If you have anything else you'd like to add, please do!
I know this is a non-traditional "quiet book," but I think it's very effective and another great resource to have for your children.  I love and have made traditional quiet books and they are true treasures.  I think this interchangeable quiet book is another great thing to keep your children entertained and engaged when needed.  I hope you have fun making yours! 

Here's the link to Trina's tutorial: Changeable Activity/Quiet Book Tutorial. Thank you, Trina, for sharing your really neat quiet book with us!


Have you got a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your own quiet book!

1 comment:

  1. What a cool idea! I can imagine this making packing up for church way simpler!

    ReplyDelete