Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Dacia's Quiet Book

Wow! Today's quiet book, made by Dacia of Fluffy Bunny Feet Designs, has the most pages I can ever remember seeing in one quiet book. She did an ABC book, and each page is super cute and creative! I really love a lot of her pages - I think it's really fun how the page backgrounds are different fabrics. It adds a lot of color and personality to the book. Take a look at all of her pages!

 
 Interview

What's your name? Describe yourself in one sentence. 
Dacia (Day-sha) I'm a stay-at-home mom to two adorable girls who loves to craft, sew, take pictures and cook!

Who did you make this quiet book for? How old are they?
I originally made it for my oldest daughter (who is now 3) about two years ago. Now, she and her little sister love to play with it during church.

What's your level of sewing experience?
I'm not terrible, but I'm not fantastic. I'd much rather make something up than have to struggle through reading directions on a pattern. ;) However, I'm still working on sewing a straight line...I fear the day will never come! lol In all honesty- this book would not have happened without my mom's help. She is a sewing-master! She can sew anything and look at any item and figure out how to make it. I was very fortunate to have her help and a lot of the things I couldn't figure out- she knew exactly what to do. So between the two of us- this book came together.

How long did it take you?
Geesh...I have no idea. I worked on this over a few months, here and there. My mom helped me put part of it together over a few different Saturdays. If I had to guess (a very wild guess) I'd say around 20-30 hours.

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found?
I didn't use any templates. I just scoured the internet for a long time looking for ideas and then took my favorites and put them into this book. My mom helped quite a bit in the pattern creation- she's a sewing mad-woman with some serious skills! ;) I looked on Etsy for ideas and various other blogs. I wanted to make it an alphabet book, so I found all my favorite pages and tried to make them fit into the alphabet idea. We had to get creative on a few- like the X-traterrestrials for X and such. It was a fun process though to pick my favorites. We are currently putting together some more season-specific pages and that is quite fun too!

How did you bind your quiet book?
I got some really big eyelets and bound it with three in each page and then put it together with a few of those big rings (binder rings - you can buy them at Staples). Then I made a cover out of some heavy duty fabric to go around it with handles so it could easily be carried....oh wait...I didn't- my mom did! Like I said- she is amazing and did everything that I couldn't figure out or didn't want to do.

What material are the pages made out of? 
I used a lot of felt for the pages (felt is super cheap at Hobby Lobby and they have SO many colors!), but the actual pages are made out of a sturdy white cotton- more like a canvas. I wanted the pages to be sturdy. Then I Just used fabric scraps and a bias tape maker and put that around the edges of all the pages to keep them from fraying.

What other materials did you use?
I used all sorts of stuff- snaps, buttons, felt, shoe laces, an old cell-phone, yarn, stuffing, googly eyes, glitter, snowflake buttons, sequins, zippers, fake jewels, scrapbooking supplies, finger puppets, clear vinyl etc.

How much did all the supplies cost you?
I'm not really sure. I love sewing stuff and random scrapbooking stuff and I just had a lot of the stuff on hand. My mom also has the largest stash of random sewing things and I used a bunch of stuff from her- old glitter fabric, buttons, snaps etc. I bought little things here and there- the fabric for the book was on clearance, buttons when they were on sale. This quiet book didn't happen overnight, so I just watched sales and got stuff when it was cheap or I had coupons. I know that's not a definite answer, but I really am not sure since I had so much on hand already.

What's your favorite page? Why?
Hmmm...I love the X-traterrestrial page. We came up with that one all on our own and the little aliens are just so fun. My mom put those little guys together, but I just think the page is so cute with the glittery fabric and the little guys with goggly eyes. I do also love the garden page though. My mom did that one pretty much by herself and I love all the vegetables she just whipped up- especially with the little bunny in the middle!

To see Dacia's book on her own blog (with more descriptions and explanations), click here.  Thank you, Dacia, for sharing your amazing quiet book with us!


Have you got a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your own quiet book!

No comments:

Post a Comment