Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Melissa's Quiet Book

Today's quiet book is absolutely adorable. It was made by Melissa of the blog I have found the paradox, and it is seriously just so cute. Hand sewn and made of felt, this book spells out the name of Melissa's daughter, with each letter getting its own page and activity. There's an "A is for Apple" page with an apple that opens to show you its seeds, a "G is for Garden" page with vegetables to pick and flowers to water, an "N is for Nest" page with a blue bird and nest, a "E is for Elephant" page with a cute grey elephant, and a "S is for Sheep" page with button flowers and peekaboo bushes hiding adorable little sheep.

I love the details she added on each page - the layered flowers on the cover, the little bee in the garden and the detailed petals on the flowers, the texture on the branches of the nest, the knotted sheep's wool. I also love how bright and cheerful this book is, and the colors that Melissa chose to have on each page. It's very fun and visually interesting. Anyway, I'll stop rambling so that you can enjoy Melissa's book!



Interview

What's your name? Describe yourself in one sentence. 
Melissa. I am a crafty, coffee drinking, Catholic wife and mommy to two scamps.

Who did you make this quiet book for? How old are they? 
My daughter Agnes. She is ten months now, but since this is a Christmas gift she will be 1 when I give it to her.

What's your level of sewing experience? 
I am definitely a beginner. I only sew for crafty projects like this one, and learned from tutorials online.

How long did it take you? 
About 3 weeks, on and off from start to finish. I would say I averaged about an hour a day, most days of the week.

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found? 
No, but many of the concepts were inspired by other people's books, and this blog!

How did you bind your quiet book? 
The pages are sewn together with a blanket stitch and I stitched a felt binding around all of the pages once they were done.

What material are the pages made out of? 
Felt.

What other materials did you use? 
Embroidery thread, buttons, and yarn.

How much did all the supplies cost you? 
About $10. A lot of it was scraps and things I already had.

What's your favorite page? Why? 
Probably the page with the sheep. It is one of the only ones I came up with on my own, and it was the most time consuming, since the sheep are covered in french knots. I love how they feel, and I was really happy with the way that paged turned out as a whole.

To see Melissa's quiet book on her own blog (with more description), click here: I have found the paradox: Agnes's Quiet Book. Melissa, thank you so much for sharing your adorable quiet book with us!

 
Have you made a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your own quiet book!

No comments:

Post a Comment